"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." - Dalai Lama
Compassion is cultivated through kindness, empathy, warmth, tolerance, and love. It is what will define my 2017. Here are a few ways to cultivate compassion in your own life.
1. Show Yourself Compassion. Each morning, begin your day by offering yourself a few kind words.
2. Practice Empathy. Replace judgement with genuine understanding by putting yourself in another's shoes; truly experience what they are experiencing.
3. Focus on Similarities. Look for ways that you similar to those around you rather than different. All human beings have the same basic needs; focus on this simple fact.
4. Be Kind. Offer a smile or a few kind words to someone in your daily travels.
5. Actively listen. Show interest in what another person is saying by letting them finish, asking questions, and clarifying what you hear rather than offering opinions and your own perspective.
6. Allow for self-healing. Seek support for past traumas. Be patient with yourself and practice self-love and tolerance of emotional pain.
7. Learn to be present. Pay attention to what is happening around you. Make eye contact. Observe body language. Appreciate your surroundings.
8. Make your own care a priority. Discover what it is you need to replenish your energy. Practice these things daily.